Having dreamed of being an elite athlete for as long as she can remember, Sam’s ability to push herself to her physical and mental limits has seen her achieve national success in both AFL and Volleyball. Whilst she has won numerous national titles in both indoor and beach volleyball, it is Sam’s current career in AFL that impresses in even the most esteemed company. Following representation in the AFL QLD Team of the Year 5 years running, as well as her league Best and Fairest award for a stellar 2016 season, Sam became Vice-Captain of the inaugural AFLW Brisbane Lions team. Playing an integral part in a team that remained undefeated throughout the Home and Away season, Sam was awarded All Australian honours for her ruthless attack on the contest and ability to make life hard for even the most elite opposition forwards.
However, as is the nature of a life in sport, the rollercoaster ride of the 2017 season was summed up perfectly when Sam devastatingly ruptured her ACL in the dying minutes of a winning grand final. The moments that followed saw Sam celebrate a long-awaited premiership victory with her team mates, all the while knowing her upcoming AFLW season with the Brisbane Lions was all but over for her as a player.
No surprise to anyone, Sam has since tackled her year on the sidelines with the same passion, grit and energy she has become renowned for on the field. With a dogged determination to continue her own growth, as well as a passion for inspiring young women to follow in the footsteps of their AFLW heroes, Sam started her own business launching Sam Virgo Coaching in 2017. Drawing on her years of experience coaching both youth and women’s talent across Queensland, Sam Virgo Coaching offers programs and clinics to develop young player’s skills, commitment and resilience. A genuine, relatable, and insightful coach, Sam is able to easily communicate and adapt her approach to best suit whomever she’s working with.
In addition to her coaching roles, Sam has also taken on the role of team manager for the Brisbane Lions AFLW team, becoming an invaluable source of support to the team, as well as a mentor for the Brisbane Lions leadership group. Sam’s aptitude for bringing out the best in others contributing to another successful year for the Brisbane Lions, reaching their second grand final in a row.
Whether she is playing, coaching, mentoring or supporting, Sam’s authenticity, kindness, passion and deep knowledge of the game shine through time and time again. A much-loved figure across the Queensland football community, a fearless leader on and off the field, and a genuine, down-to-earth person, Sam’s already decorate career is sure to continue to go from strength to strength.
Personal Playing Achievements
• All Australian Selection, AFLW
• Vice Captain, Brisbane Lions AFLW
• ‘All for One’ award, Season 1 , Brisbane Lions AFLW
• 4TH Best and Fairest , Brisbane Lions AFLW
• Grand Finalist, Yeronga South Brisbane
• Best player in Finals, Yeronga South Brisbane
• Drafted by the Brisbane Lions, pick 66 in Inaugural national womens draft AFLW
• QWAFL Best and Fairest League medal winner
• Co-Captain Yeronga South Brisbane
• Participant in exhibition game Lions vs Suns, GABBA
• Participant in exhibition game Lions vs Demons, MCG
• AFLQ State womens academy member
• Acceleration ESP Advanced Athlete Training Program
• Moorooka Club Best and fairest, Womens (2013,14,15)
• AFLQ Team of the year (2013,14,15,16,17)
• QLD womens State Representative (2014,15)
AFL Coaching Experience
• Development Head Coach Yeronga Womens Seniors/QWAFA div 1 Game day coach
• Director of Coaching Yeronga Junior Girls
• Senior Assistant Coach QLD Under 18s girls program
• Launch of Sam Virgo Coaching. Youth age coaching program involving Clinics and Programs to develop players with a “talent type” development opportunities. Also involves the implementation of school AFL programs.
• Senior Assistant Coach (midfield) QLD Under 18s girls program
• Co-Coach Yeronga South Brisbane/Calamvale Under 17 girls
• Assistant Coach (defence) Darling Downs, QLD State Youth girls championships
• Coach Yeronga South Brisbane Under 15 girls
• NAB AFL All Stars Youth girls program Sept 1-6 Assistant Coach
• Assistant coach (forwards) QLD Under 18 girls program
• Assistant coach Northern Rivers, QLD State youth girls championships
• Assistant Coach Moorooka, Senior Womens
• Development Coach/Runner, QLD Under 18 girls program
• Competition Assistant. QLD State youth girls championships
• AFLQ Summer training program, Assistant Coach, Brisbane South
PRICING AND PACKAGES
Single SessionsPrice per session per footballer
One on One
$75 / footballer
One on Two
$50 / footballer
One on Three
$40 / footballer
One on Four
$30 / footballer
One on Five
$25 / footballer
One on Six
$20 / footballer
Package SessionsApplicable to one footballer only. Book packages and save $$$
$210 / footballer
$350 / footballer
$700 / footballer
Clubs/ Clinics/ Schools
The coach has no available price(s) for large groups.
Sam worked closely with my daughter to help work on the fundamentals of the game. My daughter learnt heaps and enjoyed the session. Sam was already set up and ready to go when we arrived, and Sam evencame to our home ground which was great, and very convenient. Sam was very professional and she got on well with my daughter. I would recommend Sam for anyone tho ki g of one on one coaching.
Sam had great communication skills for my son. He wants to improve his kick so she broke the strategy down...explain to him why to kick this way and how to hold the ball.
Had a great experience working with Sam today. She was knowledgable, patient and professional with her work. Being an older but inexperienced player, I learnt valuable skills to integrate into training and games. She was also happy to work around training locations for my convenience. Would be more than happy to book in future training.
IMAGES AND VIDEOS
LOCATION & AVAILABILITY
Current: Cansdale Street, Yeronga, QLD 4104
No available time slots for this day.
Please select a date